Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Green Gate Farms


Taking day trips with the kids is one of my goals this spring. I am inspired by the blog posts of other families like this one who have taken their kids out to dairies, farms and orchards to gather their own food. I want my children to have those experiences too - but really never took the time to search out local farms. Well, I just discovered Green Gate Farms yesterday online. They are out east of Austin by Decker Lake. Their farmstand opens this month - that sounds like a great first trip out to see the farm animals and get some fresh veggies.

Other places I would like to go include some urban farms in Austin like Boggy Creek Farm, the lavender fields near my parent's house in Dripping Springs and out to pick some peaches and blackberries near Fredericksburg. This guide lists some possibilities.

Know of any other great places to take kids to explore where their food comes from?

Update: Jay just told me about a place out near his parents' house in Bastrop where you can pick strawberries!

1 comment:

Jennifer Christy said...

That sounds like so much fun!